Sunday 25 August 2013

She has such beautiful eyes



I have had enough, I am going to pieces. Every time I sit down in a restaurant whether with family, friends or even strangers, I fall in love with the most engaging woman in the room. Something in me cries out and says, “Make eye contact with her, she is beautiful”. And so I do because she has eyes that laugh.

What mad gene or electrical impulse in my brain makes me do this? Perhaps the urge springs from loneliness? Perhaps it is me turning back time’s wind of change as it searches me out blowing in gusts to remind me that I am getting old. Regardless of that I cleverly follow the train of conversation around the table and I join in. You can’t keep me out because I want to talk directly to her. And so it is that the two of us are soon in a fierce discussion about politics, study, work and even children.

As each of the company cries out some bitter objection to what either of us is saying, I glance over to where she sits and find that she too is playing the game and smiles at me. And I notice her hands they are beautiful too. It is funny how much you can tell from a person’s hands. Then when that subject is exhausted at the table we alone continue talking together quieter now about nothing important; the future development on the road south or somebody we both knew at work years ago. Perhaps we are both hooked?

I am hopeless. She is probably half my age and her husband is there and he is interesting to talk to as well but regardless of that I still breathe in the scent of her. “Stop it” I tell myself. So I order another coffee and soon I hear the steam and hot water attacking the coffee grounds in the filter and before long the cup is placed before me. I stir the coffee pointlessly and wonder whether I dare look her way again. She has such beautiful eyes.

15 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh ... written so clearly, so vividly... I can see this. Such beautiful eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps an old man's illustion? Or just another cup of coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what does your significant other think of this behavior? Hmm... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time you go for a coffee, let me know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old egg, a vivid account of the scene. Eyes are the mirrors to the soul. Nice prose piece.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh something in this made me so happy and I'm not sure why. It tickled me! So well written too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful picture you have painted! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely lovely; have a good Sunday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's those eyes that hook you every time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mesmerising eyes! Interesting flash fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So vivid - I've been there too, drawn to that person across the room and knowing it's not meant to be. Taken with good grace, it can be a pleasant way to spend an evening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Robin, this was unusual for your romantic themes. No getting the girl here... and yet, even though you know you will not have her, you can still appreciate her beautiful eyes. You're a good sport. wink Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems a few of us have used a prose approach to these words. All are expressive (and impressive), and your "observations" focused on her eyes is very romantic; a wonderful palette with which to paint these emotions. Thanks for this, OldEgg!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's called flirting and some folk do it naturally. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Robin, you've really done your muse proud this week. Enchanting tale from start to finish. Loved it.

    ~ Misky xx

    ReplyDelete