Monday 10 November 2014

The Foolishness of War



I walked in this park
Nay, t’was a cemetery
And I was alone

But for the others
Who lay there so peacefully
That is what I thought

So then I sat down
My mind wandered, drifted off
In contemplation

I heard someone say
Just why are you here young man?
I struggled from sleep

Before I answered
Others began to cry out
Yes, I heard them all

Talk about bedlam
For each grave had opened up
They clamored to speak

Then the question came
What measure of man are you
To kill your own kind?

One by one they spoke
But their skins were not as mine”
So the pit for you

What is your excuse?
“They prayed to other gods”
Fool, I still heard them

So then the next
“They spoke a foreign language”
To hell you must go

And there were more
“Our leaders told us we must”
And did you not cheer?

“I was soldier
It was my duty to fight”
“But you killed children”

On and on they spoke
And for each was an answer
I had to protest

“Stop” I then called out
These men have all been punished
their families too

“Silly little man
I was not speaking to them
No, I spoke to you”

Image from www.straartkaart.nl

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I need to go back and read through this again. Great poem for a Veterans Day. Very eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. War is such a pointless and primitive way of solving things, leading only to more trouble later. Too bad we haven't much evolved in 100 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This conversation................wise words from both the sides

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent telling of the foolishness of war, with a strong 'punch in the gut' in the last stanza. 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice poem. War may have been re-phrased by some as 'fighting for freedom', etc. But the bottom line is it's still war

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Old Egg. I almost went in this direction, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done from either side of the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent, Old Egg. Very thought provoking. War is something I will never understand. I have always believed the politicians should be sent off to serve, and the young men and women kept at home. I'm certain we would see the end of this insanity then. We can never create a true and lasting peace thru war. Wonderful Veteran's Day meditation, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said, Old egg. I think if the leaders who decide to go to war were the ones to go there would be fewer wars...or at the least shorter ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well written and poignant. War is a terrible thing. I feel for all involved, including the soldiers, and even for those so delusional that they believe war could bring about any good end.
    http://encyclopedianetherworld.blogspot.com/2014/11/diphylla-and-liljanas-journey-coming.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. A poem like this, that elicits an emotional response and gets the reader to think about it long after she finishes, is a well written piece. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a veteran and someone who really likes freedom, I agree that war is a terrible thing. But then so is Evil . When we can rid man's heart of that then we will truly be free.

    ReplyDelete