Wednesday 15 April 2015

Man's foolishness



I wandered in the woodland green
Sure in thinking I was unseen
They were of course watching me
For I was where I should not be

A rippling brook was not far off
Crows call above sounded like a cough
But all was quiet by the stream
It was as though I was in a dream

I sat down in the sward of green
To drink in this stunning sylvan scene
Resting my back against a tree
My eyes drank in all I could see

Little animals before my eye
Beautiful plants on the ground did lie
Sweet essence of joyful nature
Living life in utmost rapture

The music of the forest trees
The murmur of the birds and bees
Sent me to sleep and I did dream
But it was not what it all seemed

Those visions did not my mind caress
But instead spoke of man's foolishness
What I saw was not pristine green
But a time and place that had once been

My senses reversed were now of shame
When I awoke nothing was the same
The trees state was evidentiary
And birds called out in misery

Image found at www.fineartamerica.com


18 comments:

  1. Oh, this is quite sad. Humans really have been foolish in the way they have abused nature. I do hope we find a way to restore the 'pristine green.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature is simply not given its due importance... These lines provoked my thoughts quite deeply...
    My senses reversed were now of shame
    When I awoke nothing was the same
    The trees state was evidentiary
    And birds called out in misery

    Loved your poem :)
    Have a great week ahead :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, traveling in other dimensions! I wish I had that skill. It is a Rip Van Winkle tale reversed. Lovely. Makes me wonder who the watchrs were ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very sad. Some day this may be all we have, just visions and memories of the beauty on this earth. Well written poem. I enjoyed the rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The contrast between the beautiful sylvan scene, which turns out to have been a dream of what once was, is very sad - this is a truly effective way to underscore the state of mother nature. Wonderfully done, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. when dream breaks sadness emerges....great lines...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad, and so true! We are indeed a foolish race who're destroying the planet we inhabit... Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A foolishness which continues to that of infinite catastrophe. You are lucky to have seen a glimpse of hope, if only in your dreams.

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whether internally or externally it seems that humans have a finely honed ability to destroy all the good things

    ReplyDelete
  10. A pastoral idyll in ruins - the tight structure of your rhyming scheme really works here,

    ReplyDelete
  11. A well written call for wiser and more intelligent action.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the beautiful message in the end of the poem, Robin! Look, how stupid we are!!! In just over 100 years we have managed to destroy 50 percent of the world’s land...Species across land, rivers and seas decimated as we killed them for food in unsustainable numbers destroying habitats. A good message for everyone here.. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful poem. Maybe all will wake and change the reality.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sad when reality wakes you from a lovely dream scene. I think if we sit in stillness we can still see the beauty around us it just might take a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too many of us, and we're all too careless in our ways. I do believe nature bats last, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is quite possible, as I have found out when waking from a dream which was either fearful, or too good to be true! Then I understood foolishness..

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete