Friday 30 September 2016

Talk not of days


I am so old now 
but I still remember Kathleen
and her sweet kisses

My eyes fill with tears
falling like autumn leaves
as I recall her

Crushed now underfoot
in the forest of despair
by time's ceaseless march

It was teenage love
when all spring's joy blossoms out
belying time's round

She left me of course
I rushed to Pandoras side
to be given hope

I'm sure she nodded
but fables play with men's minds
they talk not of days

Now autumn leaves fall
sweet Kate waves to me again
all these years later

I wave back at her
laughing and crying at fate
as we kiss once more

This is a true poem of two teenagers whose lives took separate paths only to find each other again both widowed in their seventies. Although the poem is in haiku format it should be read as a narrative because I even think now in 17 syllable sentences when I write!

Image found at www.pixabay.com

13 comments:

  1. Oh this is soo beautiful and poignant both at the same time 💖💖 especially love the reference to 'Now autumn leaves fall sweet Kate waves to me again all these years later' sigh I sometimes wonder if our loved ones ever truly leave our side.. or watch silently from above. Beautifully penned. Thank you so much for participating at Prompt Nights and for your constant love and support 💖💖

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love given another chance... How I adore this, Robin. Hearts shouldn't beat alone, and to resume accompanied beating after so long is a beautiful miracle... tears and all. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now autumn leaves fall
    sweet Kate waves to me again
    all these years later

    Wonderful memories are seldom erased. Even falling leaves can remind one of the memorable her waving to us before. It tucks at the heart Robin!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I am so happy that you chose to share this poem. You are a talented poet :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely lovely; in words , recall and narrative

    mine is here

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely. And from your note at the bottom of the poem, I'm assuming that love blossomed completely the second time around. The perfect love story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing, isn't it, how real love can last through generations and still not lose its power and beauty. A charming poem. I do love the imagery of tears as autumn leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fables can meddle with many a mind - particularly romantic ones - i wonder what happened next

    ReplyDelete
  9. A touching but wonderful love story. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your usage of autumn as a metaphor for a stage in human life. The changes from spring to autumn are there, but both have lovely gifts to give.

    ReplyDelete

  11. this is beautiful, each haiku is wonderful in its own right, and the story is special,,how lucky these two are,,,

    ReplyDelete