Saturday 18 February 2017

School in the 1940's


When I first started school in the 1940's it seemed I was put in a wolfs lair to be bullied at whim by all the older boys as i was totally unprepared. I wsa happier being by myself watching enemy planes flying overhead looking for a good place to drop their bombs but luckily they never chose our town ...much, unless they were on the way home being turned back by our Spitfires and Hurricanes so decided to lighten their load anywhere they could then get home quickly for tea...or schnapps.

School was a battlefield too especially if you were unprepared on the first day of the month. The bullies would then sing out to little kids like me as they came to school “A pinch and punch for the first of the month’ and then as quick as they could they would do just that simultaneously pinching your upper arm then punching you anywhere you hadn’t been quick witted enough to defend. Then to make matters worse if you quickly answered correctly “Rabbits” they would follow up shouting out and presenting you with “A push and a kick for being so quick”.

Kids have it so easy these days.




Image found at www.pinterest.com

2 comments:

  1. I'll bet you've outlived those bullies and had a nicer life, too. I love your stories about your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's terrible that bullies have been allowed to prosper and continue their behaviour for so long. I'm sorry you were bullied it seems some of the nicest gentlest people often are simply because they are decent.

    ReplyDelete